Cell phone towers are popping up all over the place in our beautiful Eastern Townships.
Bell admits that it is not about providing better cell phone coverage anymore. There are very few spots that are still not covered. .
It is all about providing increased bandwidth for Internet service. However, high speed internet access is already available through many other ways (click here for more)….
When Patrimoine Bolton Heritage discovered Bell’s plans, our first concern was what these towers would do to our beautiful landscapes. The tallest tower which they want to put on chemin Mountain (now moved to Sugarloaf Pond) would be 90 meters high. Imagine a 30-storey unsightly structure on our beautiful mountain in the same view as the Abbaye Saint-Benoit-du-Lac! .
We soon discovered the many other negative impacts that these towers have, and how people in Canada and all around the world are fighting against them..
Over 2,000 studies by reputable scientists show that the microwave radiation emanating from cell towers is dangerous to our health. (Click here for more)
We also discovered that the presence of these towers:
- reduces property values by 20 to 30%;
- ruins the night skies because of the bright flashing lights;
- causes abrupt declines in pollinators (bees and butterflies) and in birds because the radiation confuses their navigation;
- causes decreased milk production and spontaneous abortions in dairy cows, as well as health problems in sheep, dogs, cats and rabbits living near towers;
- causes the death of approximately 6.8 million birds in North America every year because they crash into them;
- and more…
We need to act before it is too late. Say no to more cell towers in our region. Tell your municipal council to refuse to support Bell’s (or anyone else’s) request to erect a cell tower.
Let’s make sure that decisions are not made based on private interests but rather on a public planning process that evaluates the actual communications needs and how they can best be met .
These decisions should benefit us and not just Bell!